Re: [SILLY QUESTION] Uncrypting passwords

From: Ed Shipe (litbisc@CROSSLINK.NET)
Date: 08/25/98

Are you sure the one is crypted?  I was under the impression that the mud
passwords where encrypted in same way as system passwords... ie a one-way
salted algorithm.  And if they were like that, you'd need some major CPU
power and a hope that all the passwords were in a dictionary file and you
cached the results of crypting all of those with the 64(?.. don't
remember)different salts.  cracking the crypted password is pretty
impractacle within a mud code-base(even though it would be nice to have an
SMP Alpha to try it on..-=:)..)

I think the passwords on the one mud were plain-text...

If you really want to try against the crypted ones, get a copy of Crack by
Alex Muffet... the docs explain how the encryption works...

and, of course, I could be completely wrong...

ed