Re: [SILLY QUESTION] Uncrypting passwords

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 08/25/98

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Chuck Reed wrote:

>I'm working on two different places right now, and I wrote some code to
>show imps the password of any player in the game for one of them.  In my
>transfering of the code to the second mud, the GET_PASSWD(ch) and
>chdata.pwd return the crypted passwords.  This was not the case for the
>first mud, but both use password encryption.  I'm guessing that since one
>is FreeBSD and the other is Linux (redhat 4.0 i think), that the
>encryption is a ton different.  What I'm asking is where I could find a
>way to DEcrypt the password string.

Buy yourself the DES cracking machine recently in the DES-II-2 contest and
it'll have it done in 56 hours.  I think its going for a bit over $50,000
now...

In other words, forget it unless you have lots of time to brute force it
with a puny processor. :)

(Of course, you _might_ get lucky with a dictionary attack...)

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/ (not done) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.