Re: Time based triggers

From: Erwin S. Andreasen (erwin@ANDREASEN.COM)
Date: 08/27/98

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Mark A. Heilpern wrote:

> >Consider a slightly more cron-like format. I use this for example (but it
> >could be better if you make it look more like cron; check out man 5
> >crontab on your server)

> In theory, I like the idea as a varient of the timer triggers (which are
> basically count-down timers) objects now have. In practice though,
> I wonder what the overhead would be of parsing every mob, object,
> and room in the game every mud hour (75 seconds usually), in addition
> to everything else already going on at that time.

Well, I use events (http://www.abandoned.org/drylock/faq/) for thing as
such - mobs/object/rooms that need this check every MUD hour just get an
event that triggers and checks every MUD hour.

And I was lazy there - just some more could be added so that the instead
of checking every hour, the event triggers exactly at the time when the
trigger is due.