Re: [code] password retrieval Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 01:52:39PM -0700

From: Kevin Doherty (kdoherty@JURAI.NET)
Date: 08/31/98

And thus spake Jimmy Brians, on Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 01:52:39PM -0700:
> You people are sick. There is no need to see someone's password except
> to try to use it to get into their other accounts on some other mud or
> some online service of theirs. C'mon stop trying to steal people's
> passwords. This is truly pathetic, and i joined this mailing list
> because i thought i'd see people talking about circlemud, not how to
> become so-called "hackers" and steal people's passwords. Grow up and
> take it elsewere, please.

Er, anyone who wants to do this presumably already has a copy of the mud,
and being the admin really doesn't make a difference (that is, it's not
like these are all people with pirated copies of muds, etc.). While I'd
argue it's kind of a waste of time as you can set the players' passwords,
it's hardly sick or teaching people how to be crackers. Downloading
crack would be easier and faster than talking about it on the Circle
mailing list.

Anyway, if the person has the mud legally, it's not "stealing" at all.
Any communications are clearly not private, and more importantly, that
password is completely useless other than in the mud's context. The
owner owns the mud andeveryhting that constitutes it, be it world files
or code or pfiles. It's not like the players own the information they
send to the mud or something.

--
Kevin Doherty, kdoherty@jurai.net
"Multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind."