Re: Patch/Snippet Resolution

From: d. hall (dhall@OOI.NET)
Date: 09/03/98

> I still think the credits file should be moved to the src directory so
> patchers can add their one liner (if they all add 5-10 lines, credits file
> will be HUGE) without having to add instructions, scripts or unnecessary BS.
> Someone mentioned that any imp can go in and delete all the credits. Yea
> there are always going to be those few. But as it is now, its a pain to try
> and remember for the last 6 hours I patched what? Or.. I will add it in
> later, (later arrives) and what did I patch in?

Programs which patch the CREDITS file will eventually conflict with several
patches.

> It removes the doubt, confusion, forgetfullness, and give proper credit
> to those who deserve it, with less hassle, worries, etc..

Yes, but there should be a uniform method that will work across OS'es, and
consistantly with a patch program.

> Is there any reason why the credits file has to remain in the libs/.....
> directory?

lib is for lib files, src is for source files.  it doesn't take much to
make a patch diff file in a directory higher to include the other
directories.  Exceptions should be kept to a minimum to prevent bad
practice.

d.