[BPL14] Portals with objects

From: Scorn (scorn@RMI.NET)
Date: 09/14/98

i just patched in the portal with objects submitted to alex's snippets via
Tony Robbins........i had to change some stuff so it didnt crash when you
typed cast 'gate' <player>;
act("$n conjures a portal out of thin air.",
         TRUE, ch, 0, 0, TO_ROOM);
should be
act("$n conjures a portal out of thin air.",
         TRUE, ch, portal, 0, TO_ROOM);
and the same with the remaining acts however thats not my current
problem....the portals appear in both locations however i cannot enter them
when i type enter portal it acts like i enter then makes me look_room.  But
i went nowhere.  So i checked the values on the portal and it has the right
values also i get a syserr: illegal value passed to char_to_room. (Room:
6134/1968 Ch: 00b44150)
so i will include the code for do enter that came with the patch in hopes
that someone can help me figure it out.
from ACMD(do_enter)
if ((obj = get_obj_in_list_vis(ch, buf, world[ch->in_room].contents))) {
        if (CAN_SEE_OBJ(ch, obj)) {
          if (GET_OBJ_TYPE(obj) == ITEM_PORTAL) {
            if (GET_OBJ_VAL(obj, 0) != NOWHERE) {
              char_from_room(ch);
              char_to_room(ch, GET_OBJ_VAL(obj, 0));
            } else if (real_room(GET_OBJ_VAL(obj, 1)) != NOWHERE) {
              char_from_room(ch);
              char_to_room(ch, real_room(GET_OBJ_VAL(obj, 1)));
            }
            look_at_room(ch, 1);
            return;
          }