Re: [NEWBIE] [Offtopic] A HTTP webserver.

From: The Merciless Lord of Everything (serces@MUD.DK)
Date: 09/14/98

Yo-Yo! (Sorry, they seem to have come into fashion again.. *sigh*)

>as there who list and other stuff like that on there web page.  Well back
>my question.  I was wondering has anyone ever put a HTTP server into there
Erh, I'm wondering, why would you want to do such a thing why code it
*into* the mud? The mud would do much better without it, and since you have
no problem using scripts under a WebServer I would presume this would be a
much better solution.

Currently what I'm doing when a new user logs on, is
1. Create the Player in the mud.
2. Give the Player a password to the UserPages
3. Send the Player a mail with his/hers playername & Password.

Now the mud is free of anything webrelated (Except Who's online and a
deathtoll), the rest is made with either Perl or C/C++, some Bash scripting
and a cronjob.

Actually, the scripts only require you to login once, from here you can do
nearly anything (At least on the building site, I haven't put it into
production yet). Scripts are generic and builds up the site with heavy use
of SSI (Server Side Includes).

Choise of web-Server, I would go for Apache, but that's just me.

Hope it helps just a little bit, (And no, I don't see this that much
offtopic)

Serces