Re: [IDEA] losing limbs (EXPLICIT) ;p

From: Marc Gale (MARC@BGC.AC.UK)
Date: 09/18/98

> I thought long and hard about this and implemented it on an old
> test copy of my MUD. Adding something like this opens up lots of
> new possibilities for spells, skills, etc. I also added in a whole
> range of replacement limbs, some of which were better than the
> original fleshy ones.

Hmm, was your mud vaguely technological?  A few of the posts from
people hint that they don't mind decapitation if replacement
artificial limbs could be gained.

I suppose it depends on how freely available false working limbs
would be.

> > position.  You're playing along quite merrily, when
> > something attacks you and you lose a leg.  You now find it harder to
> > flee.  You then lose the other leg, fleeing is impossible now.  Then
> > the monster starts taking more limbs off, as you vainly struggle
> > against it's attacks.  You can't quit, because you're in combat.
>
>   Well, at about the same time, I decided that not all mobs should
> kill players, just leave them for dead and maybe steal all their stuff,
> only the really mean mobs fight to the death ;)

That would certainly work well.  But again it is down to how close to
death the players are left, do they then slowly bleed to death,
unable to do anything else?

>  Also what about the rescue command? Surely players in groups would
> try and save their wounded companion?

Umm, although groups are always recommended, in my experience,
players don't tend to group *that* often.

>    As for getting to see a healer, I added in the ability to 'carry'
> other players. In most cases this was hard, due to the weight, but
> players could simply dump the wounded character on a cart or similar
> transport and carry them back to safety. They could also drag them too.

Again, this is reliant on groups, or at the worst the injured player
gossiping for help.

> > Eventually, you die.  You come back in the game...do you have your
> > limbs or not?
>
>   Players lost their limbs until they were 'dead dead', that is if
> their max hit point went below 50% of it's original value. Then they
> lost twice as much exp as they would do if they were just 'dead', and
> all their limbs were replaced. If a player's head, torso or abdomen
> were taken below 0 hit points then they were classed as 'dead dead' too.

So what happens if the player is below 0 hit points, but not far
enough down to be dead dead?

(god, this email sounds picky and irritable, sorry folks, it's not
really)

> > If you do, then you might still be *very* disturbed
> > about what happened (bear in mind we cannot control the age of our
> > public players, I for one do not want to have the parents of a seven
> > year old hammering at my virtual door because little johnny is having
> > nightmares about decapitation).
>
> WARNING THIS MUD CONTAINS MATERIAL OF AN ADULT NATURE ;P

I know that this would attract and detract different players, but I
would rather not put a restriction or warning on the MUD.

> > I agree that a lot of people would find this system fun, and perhaps
> > the option could be on a toggle, but for the psychological risk, I'm
> > not willing to implement it.
>
>  Who plays your MUD? The local kindergarten? I don't mean to sound
> offensive but this does sound a little over the top. Have a 'gore'
> toggle or something ;p

*laughs* no offense taken.  I appreciate the fact that it looks like
that.  I just want the MUD to be appealing to as broad a range and
type of player as possible.  This does mean that sometimes we decide
against certain code ideas to maintain this.

Another thing that might be worth noting here, is that the MUD is not
pure combat (oops, that came out wrong).  What I mean is that we aim
to cover as many different playing styles as possible.  Sure, there
are the hack and slash merchants, and they will be quite happy to
toddle off and kill or be killed time and time again.  But we also
allow for merchants, wizards, actors, etc.  In other words, combat is
a small, but important part of the way to play the MUD, not the only
way to develop.

>  When I added this in the ptesters suddenly started taking notice of
> what armour they wore where. A ring that adds a base 50 to the AC isn't
> going to be as effective as a pair of iron shod boots which adds 50 to
> the AC of a player's feet. People paranoid of the assassin's blade
> wore heavy armour on their back to protect against backstabs.
>
>  Done properly this kind of thing works really well, but I know
> exactly how you feel about scaring the players off.

It's something that I would love to put in, but am very wary.  As I
said to someone in a personal mail, what I will more than likely do,
is wait until the player base gets to a certain size, and throw the
idea at the players.  If the greater majority of players want
decapitation for mobs and players, then it will be put in.

Marc
(not really a great big wuss, but maybe a bit of a softie *smiles*)