Re: Going from Win95 to Unix

From: Kieran Sobel (ReaperKS@AOL.COM)
Date: 09/23/98

In a message dated 9/22/98 11:08:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
xual@SATANSPAWN.ML.ORG writes:

> If you open the file, you'll notice all the M's at the end of each line,
>  inserted by windows, you need the handy script dos2unix to strip them out.

This might sound really stupid to all of you experienced unix/linux users out
there. But I opened up a few of my source files with vi and saw no signs of
any ^M's.

Also if I do have to use dos2unix, should I type it right on the shell? Hehe.
This is slightly hard for me because I really suck with vi. I mean. I've read
the help files but actually making a file with it I think I would need some
practice for. :-)  ::hugs his DOS edit program::. I am assuming that if I make
the file with my text editor in Dos, it will have the ^M's on it and wouldn't
work on the shell anyway. Is there a premade script I could put directly on
the shell?

I am so confused. I know I sound sorta stupid.. but I have been using my
beloved dos and windows for so long I can't seem to make a smooth switch to
figuring out linux. SO any help would be appreciated.

- Kieran of Darkening Skies
                "Be careful what you laugh at, it might laugh back."
                                -- Sonia Lyris