Re: Umm. bout 3 questions read first lines for topics

From: Jason Wilkins (fenix@IO.COM)
Date: 10/20/98

On Mon, 19 Oct 1998, Jourge Fuzz Bush wrote:

> 2. GDB, is there one in vc++?

> Well I hear everybody talking about gdb is there something simalar
> in vc++. I've just been guessing where my problems are and what making
> it crash. I just never looked at vc++ debug commands; I was using
> wordpad and nmake to compile my mud before I tried using vc++ projects.

VC++'s debugging is way more powerful and useful than GDB.  At least I
think so.

You can step through code, reset the program pointer, view the state of
the stack, set watches, and set conditional breakpoints (stop the code
when a variable equals a certain value) all at the same time.  The best
thing is that it automatically shows you the value of all variables in
scope.

Visual C 6.0 features edit and continue which lets you change the code,
and recompile it without stopping the program.  So, you can change code
and try out changes without having to exit the program, restart it, and
get the program back into the same state it was before so you can test it.

My favorite ability is the fact that it tells you exactly where an
exception took place, you can go into the code, reset the program pointer,
change the value that caused the exception, and restart the code (this is
even without edit and continue).

Visual debugging is just too useful.  Give it a try, GDB is just too
primitive.

--
         The Phoenix - President of The Artistic Intuition Company
    Caelius * Zen-X * Mirror Reflex * Runica * X-Domain * Infinite Realms