[NEWBIE] Numbers of objects and mobs

From: Andrew (object@ALPHALINK.COM.AU)
Date: 11/03/98

Hi all. I'm a bit puzzled at how at how objects and mobs are worked with in the
MUD. Obviously if you want 50 loaves of bread in your MUD, you're not going to
write up 50 objects of the same type in the objects file. You create a
prototype.
I get that, but how do you differenciate between prototypes? For example,
I've got
the object damage patch installed and I've got two pieces of leather arm armor,
which are both of the same prototype. But I'm wearing one and Frank is
wearing the
other. When someone hits my armor, does it also affect Frank's armor?
Logically it
would, as it is affecting the prototype. But this isn't very realistic. Someone
explain how it works to me please? ;)

And whilst I'm at it, I'm in the process of creating my own
triggers/scripting system
for mobs, rooms and objects now that I've completed my events system. I'm
not sure
how to code in the 'if's and 'else's and 'goto's into the scripting language
if you like.
Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

-- Andrew Ritchie.