Re: [NEWBIE] Numbers of objects and mobs

From: George (greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG)
Date: 11/03/98

On Tue, 3 Nov 1998, Andrew wrote:

>Hi all. I'm a bit puzzled at how at how objects and mobs are worked with
                           -------------
Brain fart? :)

>in the MUD. Obviously if you want 50 loaves of bread in your MUD, you're
>not going to write up 50 objects of the same type in the objects file. You
>create a prototype.  I get that, but how do you differenciate between
>prototypes? For example, I've got the object damage patch installed and

mob_proto[50], mob_proto[51], etc.

>I've got two pieces of leather arm armor, which are both of the same
>prototype. But I'm wearing one and Frank is wearing the other. When
>someone hits my armor, does it also affect Frank's armor?  Logically it
>would, as it is affecting the prototype. But this isn't very realistic.
>Someone explain how it works to me please? ;)

A prototype is just that.  Everyone runs around with a copy of the
prototype.  (Overly simplified explanation, things like the strings
aren't.)

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.ml.org/   (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.