Re: Things mybe

From: Xual (xual@satanspawn.ml.org)
Date: 12/19/98

I think that the main reason people aren't "sharing" thier scripts is that
they're too MUD specific.  Sure, I could release  my whole collection, but
they'd be useless to anyone without the same world as me.  I'll admit that
there is a bit of a learning curve, but all in all, its a lot simpler that
writing a spec_proc.  If people are interested in small generic samples,
feel free to ask, once you know what's going on it's a breeze to do.   As
far as the documentation goes, I think it may help to add a few small
examples for each trigger type, especially dealing with globlals and
returns, it gets a litle vague in these areas.  Overall, I think that the
dg_scrips package is the best patch available for Circlemud, combined with
olc it has the potential to make almost the entire MUD (as the players see
it) completely original, without being a "c guru".  Not that I believe
that every mud should not have such a guru, but even so, it's a good
introduction to procedural programming.  My only piece of advice to ppl
trying to learn how to write scripts is to experiment and learn from
your mistakes.  If you get stumped on an error, or something doesn't work
like you think it should, then just ask...  I believe there are many
people on the list using this package who would be willing to lend some
advice if a direct question is asked, myself included.

"Misery is boundless"
        -Xual the Torturer, on the Eve of the Sundering.

Danathara Online RPG
telnet://danathara.ml.org:4000