Re: [KINDANEWBIE] Overide 0064??

From: Christopher Avans (parka@cdc.net)
Date: 02/07/99

See the VERY helpful chart below on chmod

> > I had someoen code somthing for me and i put it in my code and then
> > when i tried to change somthign on it it said i couldn't then i tried
> > to delete it and it said overide 0064? confused me what is 0064 and
> > how do i turn it off?
>
> Your file permissions aren't set up properly, you'll have to chmod them.
> See "man chmod" for the details, or buy an introduction to UNIX book :P

O yeah baby, buy a book. The universal answer! But of course he is right
you know.

> "Misery is boundless"
>         -Xual the Torturer, on the Eve of the Sundering.
>
> Danathara Online RPG

                        U   G   W
                       rwx rwx rwx     chmod 777 filename
                       rwx rwx r-x     chmod 775 filename
                       rwx r-x r-x     chmod 755 filename
                       rw- rw- r--     chmod 664 filename
                       rw- r-- r--     chmod 644 filename

                       U = User
                       G = Group
                       W = World

                       r = Readable
                       w = writable
                       x = executable
                       - = no permission

               Here is anther way of looking at it:

               Permissions:

               400     read by owner
               040     read by group
               004     read by anybody (other)
               200     write by owner
               020     write by group
               002     write by anybody
               100     execute by owner
               010     execute by group
               001     execute by anybody

               To get a combination, just add them up. For example, to get read
               write execute by owner, read execute by group, and execute
               by anybody, you would add 400+200+100+040+010+001 to give
               751.

Information Provided to me originally by: www.dezines.com web hosters