Re: Vampires as a "Feature"

From: The Merciless Lord of Everything (serces@mud.dk)
Date: 02/11/99

Dan Argent wrote:

> I have good reason to use races, as there is no "cure" in my universe.
> but yeah, vampires will be extremely hard at night, and dimished at day
> (mud-time) , and feeding will be put in. Also other vampire "skills" mist,
> astral sensitity, etc
Still, these shouldn't be too hard to make even if you choose to make it
as a Flag and not as a  Race/Class.

Currently I'm pondering very deeply about this, and I don't see the
problem using a flag since the Skills would come as levels go by. By
this you might have to expand the skill system a bit, but that's what
life is all about, tweaking things to suit your needs :). E.g. put in a
FLAG section to the spello system, Currently my spello_function is erh..
bombed? ;-) Since I wanted it to be possible to make a spell dependant
on another, I had to put in DEPENDS_ON flag, and then in the prac code
check for if the Person knew the DEPENDS_ON thingie, thus making a kind
of tree structure (as in, you can only learn Fireball if you know how to
cast flame, and flame can only be acquired if you know fire lore, etc..
:) Here you should without much trouble be able to put in a CURSE flag,
so that to get this spell player A need to be Affected by whatever CURSE
you've put into this, so you could have it so that the player needed to
be either a Vampire or Cursed with Lycanthropie, or possibly even both.

one Advantage of using this system is that if you want to put in a new
curse/disease, you don't need to go through the tedious work of adding
the new Class/Race, but just go "Oi, I put it in Spello" for the skills,
all the other effects can be checked rather Easily.

Uh.. :) Hope this helps, at least, this is the way I'm going to do it,
but I like to see other approaches to this as well for as the perl
sentence goes, 'There is more than one way to do things, and your way is
not *THE* correct way'  :)

Serces