(no subject)

From: Tony Robbins (tonyr@pacific101.com)
Date: 03/13/99

----- Original Message -----
From: Phillip A Ames <kirk47@juno.com>
To: <CIRCLE@post.queensu.ca>
Sent: Saturday, March 13, 1999 7:54 AM
Subject:
*snip*
>Mar 13 16:53:50 :: Loading rooms.
>Mar 13 16:53:50 ::    1335 rooms, 96120 bytes.
>
>The MUD crashes here, and generates a core.
>
>Core was generated by `g utensils. As you'.
>Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
>find_solib: Can't read pathname for load map: Input/output error
>
>#0  0x4007e9a2 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
>(gdb) bt
>#0  0x4007e9a2 in ?? () from /lib/libc.so.6
>#1  0x6966206e in ?? ()
>Cannot access memory at address 0x4f202020.

*snip*

Alright, I'm purely speculating here, as I'm no GDB expert either.  However,
let's read the line:
Core was generated by `g utensils. As you'.

Now, I believe this might actually be a clue.  As I'm sure you know, inside
the single-quotes it is supposed to name the command.  I'm guessing that
this room has an abnormally long description, so it crashes and somehow
floods up to that point (remember, speculation).  Another good possibility
is that some kind of memory quota was instated, although I'm not sure how
I'd diagnose that.  In any case, I'd grep through your room files, searching
for "g utensils. As you" and try to boot the MUD without that particular
zone loaded, and see if it completes its way through the startup process.

There're some ideas anyway...

-B.