(no subject)

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/13/99

On Sun, 14 Mar 1999, Del Minturn wrote:

>You say no explanation needed, but can you please explain. I tried to
>figure out what you posted, but it seems kinda greek.
>I see 'i' 'f' ' ' 'N' 'O' (if NO), what does that mean?
>Where did it come from? Those kinda things.. (Just want to learn)

Whenever a pointer consists of entirely ASCII character codes, you know you
overran a buffer somewhere with a strcpy() or strcat() or sprintf() etc.

So you take the results of printing those character codes and see where
they could be generated in your code.

Since a character code is one byte, that's two hex digits and you use GDB
to cast that to a (char) so you can see the character.

Hence my demonstration with the 8 letters being printed from his GDB
output.

--
George Greer, greerga@circlemud.org | Genius may have its limitations, but
http://mouse.van.m-l.org/  (mostly) | stupidity is not thus handicapped.