Re: save problems

From: Brandon Brown (ViperBrd@aol.com)
Date: 03/23/99

<< I have this wierd bug that once in a while a player will end up with a
 messed up pfile. actually more often then "once in a while" I just can't
 seem to track it down enough to find some type of regularity. but anyways.
 Ive added a few extra fields and stuff to the pfile, and usually
 everything saves right, just once in a while i end up with a level 141
 person with their class being "Welcome to CircleMud ..."

 I know this is probably very vague and can be a number of things. But
 where should i start looking? I've looked in char_to_store and
 store_to_char and everything looks fine. I think its a pointer problem
 somewhere, but I have no clue where the problem would lay. Any help would
 be great. If you need more information, ill post some code. Im using
 circlemud bpl14, buncha patches, some unique code.

Alright.  Looking at class.c, at const char *pc_class_types[], I see the list
of classes, right?  Now, first off, make sure you have an equal number of
classes there that you do elsewhere.  Below *pc_class_types is *class_menu,
and, assuming I'm understanding your problem well enough, the first line of
*class_menu for you, is "Welcome to CircleMUD."

Now, if that's the case, your problem probably lies in the fact that
somewhere, you're either defining that you have too many classes than you
actually have listed in *pc_class_types, or, simply, you forgot to add the
class names to *pc_class_types.

Check and see if this "once in awhile" (your own words), occurs when a class
towards the end of your list is selected.

---
B. Brown
WebMaster, CircleMUD WTFaq
(*pesters* George for the URL of the WTFaq)