Re: [COMPILING] what do errors mean?

From: David Taylor (davidt@xfiles.nildram.co.uk)
Date: 04/17/99

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999, Darren Steinke wrote:

> I was installing the new_prompts.diff patch and did ok except for
> act.other.c
> I got a page full or errors and was wondering if someone out there
> could let me know what the errors mean? I'm not looking for someone
> to tell me how to fix it just to tell me what the errors mean. I have
> gone over my code and it all matches with the patch so..i am running
> bpl14 btw

Oh, damn it.. I haven't bought a crystal ball, I can't see your code, and
everyone else's appears to be broken.. Try posting *some* code.

> thank you!
>
> -ds
>
> -----act.other.c compile errors----
>
> [fradmin@pizza]$ gcc -c -g -Wall act.other.c
> act.other.c: In function `do_display':
> act.other.c:760: parse error before `:'

This is probably causing most of the other errors..
what are lines 758-762?

> act.other.c:744: warning: unused variable `x'
> act.other.c: At top level:
> act.other.c:767: parse error before `else'
> act.other.c:769: parse error before string constant
> act.other.c:769: conflicting types for `send_to_char'
> comm.h:15: previous declaration of `send_to_char'
> act.other.c:769: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> act.other.c:773: initializer element is not constant
> act.other.c:773: warning: data definition has no type or storage class
> act.other.c:775: parse error before `if'
> act.other.c:780: `x' undeclared here (not in a function)

Hmm, x was unused above, and undeclared here, which is not in a function..
Which is probably not the case, fixing the first error should fix the
rest.

--
David Taylor
E-Mail: dtaylor@nildram.co.uk.spam