Re: [GDB] Help Required

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 04/20/99

> #0  0xef663f30 in strcmp ()
> (gdb) bt
> #0  0xef663f30 in strcmp ()
> #1  0xef6924c8 in _tzload ()
> #2  0xef691264 in _ltzset_u ()
> #3  0xef6906ac in localtime_u ()
> #4  0x68298 in basic_mud_log (str=0xeffff4d8 "nusage: 2   sockets connected, 2   sockets playing")
>     at utils.c:133
> #5  0x20aec in record_usage () at comm.c:922
> #6  0x20940 in heartbeat (pulse=45000) at comm.c:848
> #7  0x2061c in game_loop (mother_desc=3) at comm.c:759
> #8  0x1f9b8 in init_game (port=1500) at comm.c:317
> #9  0x1f93c in main (argc=3, argv=0xeffffd64) at comm.c:256

> 128     {
> 129       time_t ct;
> 130       char *tmstr;
> 131
> 132       ct = time(0);
> 133       tmstr = asctime(localtime(&ct));
> 134       *(tmstr + strlen(tmstr) - 1) = '\0';
> 135       fprintf(stderr, "%-19.19s :: %s\n", tmstr, str);
> 136     }
> 137

        The only time i've ever seen errors of this type is when I was
'upgrading' from gcc to egcs and made the mistake of compiling something
that already had a configure file and object files written using the
previous type.  This is a guess, since the code looks correct to me, but
strcmp is most likely being passed a null string, oddly enough, after
making it through a great deal of internal library code.  I'd recommend
recompiling all your files, and crossing your fingers.

        If it keeps happening, maybe you've got something more simple to
deal with, like memory corruption :)
                                                PjD