Re: Ascii pfiles 2.0b (Test Please)

From: Nocturnal Occulto (ronnyi@ifi.uio.no)
Date: 06/10/99

Jason Berg wrote:

> I just finished patching the Ascii Pfiles patch into stock circle and am
> attempting to track down this bug witht the 3 letter names and ran across
> another couple of bugs in the code that I would like to see if anyone else
> has come across.  They are simple to fix but they are in do_show and do_set
> (and possibly others) and these functions are not used very often so it
> could have escaped detection.
> Please try to do the following and respond if it crashed or not.
>
> show player <playername>
> set file <playername> <set something>
>
> The code for load_char under the pfile system takes a char_data pointer but
> the pointer in both cases is set to NULL before calling load char causing a
> page fault (under Win98 MSVC5.0++).
>
> If no one has caught these bugs I will work out a fix for the rest of them
> and will continue to hunt down the name bug.
>
> Also for some reason under MSVC5.0 I come up with a DESTROY error when
> attempting to free memory in fbclose() from the Ascii PFiles.  I believe
> it's failing the heap check but am having trouble tracking this one down.
> Ignoring the error, however, does not seem to cause any problems and I
> haven't seen it overwrite any of the heap between malloc and free.  Also for
> some reason I can not build a release version of circle.exe - only a debug
> version.  If anyone can spare info on why this might be happening I would
> appreaciate it.
> Gameguru

Whenever I load a char I use

  CREATE(chdata, struct char_data, 1);
  clear_char(chdata);
  CREATE(chdata->player_specials, struct player_special_data, 1);

then load_char etc

this keeps load char from crshing in commands like laston, set file, stat file

Regards ROnny

--
--------------- Codito, ergo sum - "I code, therefore I am" --------------------
http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi                           ronnyi@ifi.uio.no

         I also own a online RolePlayingGame called Blackfire located at:
                    telnet://birk113.studby.uio.no:4000
               http://birk113.studby.uio.no/~ronnyi/Blackfire