OFF-TOPIC: Affect vs. Effect (was: MUD DOcumentation)

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 06/29/99

> [1] - a, for affect, if it's an action, effect otherwise.  I love
> grammar.

Actually, both "affect" and "effect" are verbs.  Affect has three
meanings:

    (  i) To produce an effect on something
    ( ii) To pretend to have or feel or be
    (iii) To like and make a display of using or wearing

This means that I can create a sentence of such wonderful syntax as, "I
affect ``affect'' to affect affecting," which means:

    I like and make a display of using ``affect'' to pretend to be
    producing an effect on something. [1]

The situation gets even more hairy with "effect", which has the following
meanings as a noun,

    (  i) a change produced by an action or cause, a result
    ( ii) an impression produced on a spectator or hearer
    (iii) [effects] property
    ( iv) the state of being operative (e.g., "came into effect")
    (  v) sound, lighting, etc. accompanying a production ("special ...")

And, as a verb,

    (  i) to bring about, to accomplish

Right.  So, to expand upon, "I affect ``affect'' to affect affecting," we
can say, "I have effectively effected the desired effect by affecting
``affect'' and ``effect'' in effect to affect affecting effectively," or,
in English this time,

    I have, in a powerful manner, brought about the desired result by
    liking and making a display of using ``affect'' and ``effect'', in
    fact, to pretend to be producing a powerful result on something in
    a powerful manner. [1]

Which reminds me,

ObCircle:
Shouldn't it be "EFF_" not "AFF_" if we're referring to the result of
affecting something?

-dak

[1] Or so I presume this to be the proper translation -- should one
    actually exist.