Re: Level restrictions (sub-thread: logistics of limiting)

From: JoeR (joer@email.com)
Date: 07/21/99

> Here's a logistical question then.  Say you only want 5 of a
> particular sword in the game.  Total.  Joe has one and logs out
> with it.  Now, it's not an active item...  Joe never comes back
> and is automatically deleted in a few months.  Without putting
> special code to look for that ONE item, how do we know we can
> respawn the item?

I had an interesting idea in mind for allowing objects to be "combined" to
create a NEW item.  I think this could help with the logistical question of
limiting items to a certain number available... because when you physically
combine object 1 with object 2, you REMOVE the first 2 items from the system
and then object 3 is created!

That means if you only want 1 Super-Duper Glowing Power Sword to ever exist
anywhere on the MUD and it can only be created when 1 Super-Duper Golden
Hilt (just a plain "other" type object) is combined with 1 Flask of Magical
Molten Silver - then the code can check if a Super-Duper Glowing Power Sword
exists anywhere (in the player object file) before the combination occurs
(and the new item is loaded).

There can be a million of each individual component scattered all over the
MUD, but if you want the creation of the primary component limited to a
certain number then it's relatively easy to control at the time the player
uses the "combine <item> {with} <item>" command.

The MUD I'm coding isn't fantasy-based, but instead is technology-based.. so
combining different components to make something different is a little more
realistic (plus a "seperate <item>" command to get the original components
back) - but maybe in a fantasy MUD the combination of components could be
limited to magic potions so it would make sense to the player.

Note: Because it would be possible to have item1 + item2 = item3 and then
item3 + (item4*3) = item5 and then maybe item5 + item1 = item6, the concept
of combining objects can seriously make things complicated on your MUD if
you don't have things charted out ahead of time.  (sort of like those
"technology charts" for StarCraft...)

---
Joe Rykowski ('Cyklop'), SysAdmin/Builder/Coder