Re: [CODE] Crashing when adding new rooms.

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 12/14/99

On Wed, 15 Dec 1999, Magnus Jardstam wrote:

> #0  0x80ad5c5 in special (ch=0x8575370, cmd=3, arg=0x80db480 "")
>     at interpreter.c:1203
> 1203        if (GET_EQ(ch, j) && (GET_OBJ_SPEC(GET_EQ(ch, j)) != NULL))
> (gdb)

(gdb) print *ch
(gdb) print *j
(gdb) bt

> It ONLY crashes when adding new rooms.

Sounds like memory corruption to me.

> And when you have edited a new room and type olc to see what needs to
> be saved it also crashes.

What's the core dump from that look like?

> Oddly enough this have only happened when I run it on Red Hat and
> Slackware Linux, when running it in CygWin under Windows 98 it doesn't
> crash because of it.

It's not that odd.  Different operating systems have different methods of
handling memory and, hence, memory overruns and corruptions.  Note that
this doesn't mean Cygwin w/ Win98 is better or that Redhat/Slackware are
buggy -- just that Cygwin or Win98 better tolerates a potentially serious
bug.  The bug still exists under that platform, it's just silently
accepted and ignored.

-dak