Re: Banning players + resolving ip addresses

From: Chris Proctor (cjp@minotaur.labyrinth.net.au)
Date: 12/23/99

At 07:43 PM 12/23/1999 -0500, you wrote:
>1. I have slowns turned ON on my mud, not because I have a slow nameserver
>but becuase I like the ip addresses better does anybody know of a command
>that will resolve an ip into a hostname and return the hostname to the
>player issueing the command?

You can open a unix shell session and type "nslookup <ip>".

>2. A player connected from WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ the other day and was being a
>real pain but when I tried to ban him (with "ban all WWW.XXX.YYY.*) after I
>disconnected him (ie. purged his player and dc the socket) he was still able
>to connect (with the same IP) does anybody know why it still lets him in?

Don't use *.
It'll automatically match against whatever you could type in.
So if you typed:
ban all aol

It'd ban all users from 98asfdb.aol.com, and all other aol addresses.
Have to be a bit careful not to have it match against other domains or
numbers though.

Regards,
Chris Proctor (Deathblade, Implementor of DominiaMUD)
MUD Homepage: http://www.labyrinth.net.au/~cjp