Re: Server

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 12/31/99

On Thu, 30 Dec 1999, Jerry Fisher wrote:

> Running a MUD is a huge investment in both time and money.

From whose standpoint?  Running _a_ Mud on _a_ server is not that
processor intensive.  And high-speed Internet connections are becoming
more and more common.  Note that for one Mud, a T1's bandwidth on a
dedicated machine is massive overkill.  You won't be getting a free server
that's dedicated, though.  In any event, the sort of web hosting that
Geocities does is MUCH, MUCH, MUCH more processor intensive than two or
three Muds running on one server.  That no-one is interested in making
available server space for other Muds (myself included, call me a
hypocrite if you please), is indicative of either the general creative
apathy in this field, a lack of understanding of just what resources a Mud
uses, or, in my case, being jaded.

> Bribing someone with an immortal position is rather silly when if they
> have a server, and know how to setup and run a mud, they obviously
> don't need your help in obtaining mud immortality:)

And running your Mud on a server belonging to someone who would do such a
thing is asking for such trouble.  Then again, people are too wrapped up
in proprietary modifications to their Muds these days.  The sort of
elitism and other foolishness that presently occurs is horrendous.

> But has anyone else noticed that lately this list is looking more and
> more like a mudconnector discussion board???

Cast a pox upon us, why don't you...

-dak