Re: License Violation

From: Robert Moon (LegalWriter@earthlink.net)
Date: 01/01/00

At 07:50 PM 1/1/00 EST, Brandon Brown wrote:
>I personally always thought that it was more of a moral decision to follow
>the license.  I've been told that there is nothing that the CircleMUD
>community can do to a violating MUD - though this may be totally wrong.

I've heard a lot about the Mudgick MUD, but in terms of them violating the
copyrights of Wizards of the Coast.  Obviously, there is something that can
be done.  The legal recourse, however, does not lie with the mudding
community at large.  Rather, it lies with the owners of the DIKU code and
the various derivatives.  It is their responsibility to enforce their
license and to aggresively pursue those that brazenly violate it, as
Mudgick obviously is.

In some instances, a failure to enforce the license contract can be
interpretted by a court of law as an abandonment of it, permitting others
to follow Mudgick's lead.  It should be noted that any and all revenue
received by the Mudgick MUD in violation of the license can be awarded to
the rightful owners of the code, along with interest, penalties, and court
costs.