Re: Color

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 01/03/00

On Mon, 3 Jan 2000, George Greer wrote:

> I think Daniel was working on auto-detect but last I remember
> (fuzzily), it wasn't possible to figure out colors, just telnet
> capabilities.

See RFC 1091 for the TELNET Terminal-Type option; note that some clients,
including Zmud I think, support this.  The other alternative, and the one
I used, was to set ``char by char'' mode and send a cursor positioning
sequence (\x1B[9999;9999H) to move the cursor to the bottom right of the
screen and then the Report Position sequence (\x1B[6n); if the client
responds with an ANSI sequence (of the form \x1B[<y>;<x>R) then we know
not only that they support "ANSI" color, but we know how big their screen
is, too... The problem with this approach is it only works with TELNET and
ones who implement a lot of it.

-dak