Re: autorun overhaul malevolent@mindinfo.com on Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 07:02:29AM -0800

From: Oleg V. Volkov (cm_rover@lglobus.ru)
Date: 01/18/00

On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 07:02:29AM -0800, Ryan Le Gros wrote:
> Since the topic of the autorun script has popped up I have a question
> regarding it. How could I successfully Cron the autorun script without
> causing problems?
[skip]
> Or am I overlooking something obvious (or maybe not so obvious).

Yes. Cron is for periodically running things. You don't need to rerun
periodically. All you need is to place script calling /somewhere/autorun &
in startup. Well, i don't know what system you use, but if that's FreeBSD
then just write something like

---startmud.sh---
/somewhere/autorun &
echo -n ' MUD'
---startmud.sh---

and place it in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
Many systems besides FreeBSD have such startup directories too, so just
ask your sysadmin.

--
Oleg V. Volkov aka Rover                                      EH: LCM Rover
Join Elite Imperial Fleet!                    http://www.emperorshammer.org