Re: Ethics. (and liability)

From: Tony Maro (tony@maro.net)
Date: 02/01/00

Oh, I thought it was up to society to protect us from the bad people?

You mean we should assume that all this open information we send
out on the open world-wide internet is being monitored, including
passwords?

I mean, isn't there laws against wiretapping?  Isn't that what you're
doing if you log everything I do?

Aha... the problem is the the US govt considers the telephone to be a
NECESSITY, a public utility.  Internet access is a PRIVELAGE and not
subject to the same privacy concerns for the most part.  If the FBI
politely asks your ISP for your mail logs, they'd probably hand it
over without a warrant.

I guess a lot boils down to the usage agreement your users must
answer 'Y' to in order to log in.  You do have one, right?

If you DON'T have one and you log everything, and those logs are stolen/
hacked, then you really ought to get a good lawyer, cause you could be
in serious trouble.  There is an "assumed" warranty in the absense of
an explicit warranty in many US states.

At least as far as the US goes...  In HK, I think they really don't give
a sh!!.  Pardon my exclamation marks.  I mean, they don't call hacked
CD's "HK"s for nuthin!

Hey, did you hear about the company who logged all of the credit card
numbers of everyone who had ever logged into their site?  A hacker
stole them all and asked a $1mil ransom to keep him from releasing all
of the numbers on the web.  Funny thing, they didn't even know they
had the logs.

They threw his ransom fax in the garbage and he started releasing
them.  Check it out at MSNBC.com.  I forget the exact reference, but
it was in the last month that they covered the story.  The victim
was an online music CD warehouse.

Are they liable for any damage on those stolen cards?  Mmm.... that's
a good question.

In general, I'd say you aren't open to as much trouble with a MUD, but
who knows.  Freaks will sue over spilt milk nowadays.  Or hot cofee.