Re: [Off Topic] how to fix Mandrake's coredump prob.

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/11/00

On Sun, 12 Mar 2000, StormeRider wrote:

>daemon is a function used in system startup scripts.
>inetd is started with a startup script that uses daemon.
>telnet is spawned by inetd.
>if daemon sets a max limit for core dumps to 0, this will affect telnet
>sessions.
>
>And as the startup script for SSH that I had used the daemon function call,
>the same applied to it.
>
>If the shell which is spawned by telnet or ssh has a max coredump limit of 0,
>so will the MUD.
>
>Make sense?

I just put 'ulimit -c unlimited' in /etc/profile.

greerga@moving:~$ ulimit -c
unlimited
greerga@moving:~$ telnet localhost
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
login: greerga
Password:
Last login: Sat Mar 11 19:13:09 on tty2
You have mail.
greerga@moving:~$ ulimit -c
unlimited
greerga@moving:~$

Which is better than letting daemons dump all over places. (Unless you
happen to want the daemon core dumps.)

--
George Greer            | My beta stuff and related information.
greerga@circlemud.org   | http://www.circlemud.org/~greerga/