Re: [Off Topic] how to fix Mandrake's coredump prob.

From: Chris Proctor (cjp@minotaur.labyrinth.net.au)
Date: 03/11/00

> > > daemon is a function used in system startup scripts.
> > > inetd is started with a startup script that uses daemon.
> > > telnet is spawned by inetd.
> > > if daemon sets a max limit for core dumps to 0, this will affect telnet
> > > sessions.
> > >
> > > And as the startup script for SSH that I had used the daemon function call,
> > > the same applied to it.
> > >
> > > If the shell which is spawned by telnet or ssh has a max coredump limit
> > of 0,
> > > so will the MUD.
> > >
> > > Make sense?
> >
> >Hence my suggestion to put the ulimit in autorun.
>
> Which doesnt work, since the max is set as root from the chain of processes
> that
> flow to give you your shell, you can't change it as a user. Ie, you use
> "ulimit -c
> unlimited", and then do another "ulimit -a" and see the coredump size set
> to... "0".
>
> Once the hard limit is set within a process, it can only be adjusted downwards,
> unless you're root.

Didn't seem to work that way on my server.
Mine was set to 0 for one reason or another, you just had to be careful
not to exceed the max core size or it'd set it to 0 (I did 14Mb, which was
a bit below the max). Sort of a decimal search process to find the optimum
value. *shrugs*

Could certainly be doing something weird on yours, I suppose, but unless
the server admin WANTS people to be unable to get cores from the programs
there's no reason for it to be set up that way by default.