Re: OLC+/Other Stuff

From: Phillip A Ames (kirk47@juno.com)
Date: 03/25/00

On Sat, 25 Mar 2000 17:04:32 +0800 Fizal <amustapa@yahoo.com> writes:
> Here are some of the things that entered my mind:
>
> 1. How would the player acquire the skills to do their jobs? Do they
need
> to spend prac sessions (or some other form of points) to get the skills
> required?

You pose some very good questions, that I'll answer with my current view,
and anyone else, feel free to join in and toss in your two cents.  This
is a very good idea right here, one that I hadn't thought of - I could
make a SKILL_WORKING (generic one) that has the players 'working skills'
and make it a special case(it only increases maybe 5-10% per practice
session used), and that could effect their salary raise(if a number(0,
200) is greater than their skill, no raise, if it's less than their
skill/2 then pay drop).

> 2. How would the player go about doing their jobs? You were thinking of
> having a room and let the player do a "job" command in it. Will the
player
> be in the room for the next 6-8 mud hours performing his job or until
the
> job is completed? If the player is a healer/doctor and no one comes to
his
> clinic, will he still be considered working? What about
blacksmiths/engineers
> that requires a few days/weeks to complete something?  What if they
started
> something but never did get around to finish it?  Another thing, are
they allowed
> to do other things while working like sorting out their eq?

Well, I would probably make a new position, such as POS_WORKING that
would probably be next after POS_STANDING so they wouldn't be able to use
any player commands(except perhaps say, tell, etc.).  And the only large
flaw I can see in this is that the player would be able to walk away from
his computer for the MUD hours while working, unless I required it to be
interactive(i.e. player walks into store, says, "I'd like to buy a loaf
of bread please.", and then player has to say "x gold coins" and take the
money, then give the other player the bread - only problem I see with
THIS is that the player can charge whatever they want("Oh, for you, Mr.
Person I Don't Like, that'll be 50000 gold coins.  Oh hey Bob, want some
bread?  Give me 5 coins." - perhaps make salary based on daily income of
store?).  And as long as they are in the CON/POS_WORKING state, it'd be
considered working, even if nobody came.

> 3. What would the players need to do the job, in terms of
tools/materials?
> Assuming that a stove, pots and pans are already in the room, if a
player
> wants to cook "floating meatpie in brown sauce", what would he need?

I think it would be assumed that all the items necessary to perform the
job's tasks would be in the room/building the player is in and they would
automatically fetch them to do it, because anything else would be *VERY*
difficult to get to work.

> 4. What would the output of the job be? Healers/doctors are easy since
they
> just heal people. A fishermen will end up with a fish or two. What
about
> tailors or carpenters? What would they get when they finish?

Well, since their job is to make & sell clothes to other people, I may
require them to 'make' clothes(based on material in the room), but the
overall outcome would be them getting money.

> 5. How would having jobs benefit them overall? Okay, it's a way to get
cash.
> But, if a player is a healer/doctor, can't he use his skills
during/after
> combat? Or if he's a hunter, can't he help track and set up traps to
snare
> the enemies? Or can't the chef make something edible from the raw meat
that
> the hunter got from god knows where?

Those are all possibilities - for instance, the healer/doctor would know
first aid, possibly as part of their SKILL_WORKING, and hunters could get
a combat bonus, and the chef would be able to "cook" the food.

> 6. Why would players go for it? Half of the players that logs in
usually
> have the word "KILL" in bright neons in their mind. They get easily
turned
> off by complexity. However, the other half will try out anything that
they
> deem interesting. The question is: would they find it interesting?

Since my MUD is going to be role playing(don't know how much Star Trek
role players I'll find, but I would love to have an RP Trek game), I'm
trying to move away from hack'n'slash, since that's not the ideals that
Trek is based on.

What do you guys think?

Phillip Ames       | AOL IM: Grathol  | ICQ: 8778335 |
"I will break you into pieces, hold you up for all the
world to see, what makes you think you are better than
me?" -Everclear, Like A California King, 1997