Re: [CODE] Forges [LONG]

From: Torgny Bjers (tb@sbbs.se)
Date: 07/06/00

Rather unimportant note...  Patrick Dughi wrote a reply to someone,
StormeRider I think...  I agree with Dughi, he's right...  This is just
going off on a tangent, I am raving about something silly.  But feel free to
read.

Regarding text-based games:

        Pouncing on the least important paragraph in your entire letter,
Patrick, I just can't let it go.  I beat all the Zorks when they came out on
Commodore 128 (and so did many of my friends, without cheating), as well as
Leather Goddesses of Phobos, Lurking Horror, and some others I can't
remember, the only one I couldn't play because it was so painstakingly
annoying is Hitchhikers Guide to The Galaxy, which is a pain...
        Maybe the gamers of today are too spoiled with hot 3D graphics and
the high level of realism found in modern RPG games.  Nothing beats a
cleverly written plot in a text-game, a MUD for instance...  If you have the
possibility, take a look at Leather Goddesses of Phobos.  There's a barn
burner in the very beginning there.  You are caught in a cell, and there's
no way out.  You try everything, search for keys, pick the lock,
everything...  I never thought to just type "open door", I assumed it was
locked, I was in a cell, right?  The door was open the whole time...  Such
things add to game play because they are witty and funny in a sarcastical
way.  Not difficult forge functions, or any such procedure, unless it is
VITAL for gameplay.
        For example: the forge-scene in Ultima VII - Serpent Isle, where the
Avatar forges the Black Sword, that is necessary, but it might as well be
done without the advanced item-creation thingie you describe...  I am sure
some of the heavier coders in here would do it differently, but I could
imagine I could do such a thing myself with a little spec_proc that just
waits for items to be given/held/whatever, then if all requirements are met,
take items and purge them, load a new object, voila...  But as I said, I
don't know jack crap about coding, more than what I've read in here, and
what I've tweaked my own CircleMUD with...

        I am interested in the outcome of this discussion about forges, I
look forward to a conclusion because I want to try it myself...

Kind Regards,
Torgny Bjers