Re: MUD essential features

From: Mike Redick (Telos@MAD.SCIENTIST.COM)
Date: 08/30/00

Couple comments... first, I've seen the mapped combat on one other mud, and
while it _is_ a cool idea it turns out more annoying in actual
implementation.  In a large battle you've got 20 people who are all
represented by an '@' or the first letter of their names, and every time a
player takes a step the combat map would scroll and the new one show that
everyone had moved 10 steps.  All this while rounds are going by at about 2
per second (or whatever pulse violence is.)

As for not showing numbers for hitpoints and stuff, it doesn't really
matter.  If you show some kind of text message like "few scratches,"
instead of 20hp/40hp the player still knows they are injured.  And most
players I know will just heal before the next battle anyway... unless some
big wandering aggressive mob runs in at them and forces them into combat
while still injured. :evilgrin:

Still sounds like you're on the right track though... especially since you
aren't going to use any of the stock areas.  Nothin against the stock
areas... but they lose any sense of coolness after you've played through
them on like 12 different muds.  I don't even bother with a new mud if I
land in midgaard anymore.