Re: Valid_name fix

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 09/07/00

On Thu, 7 Sep 2000, Shane Lee wrote:

>This could cause problems down the road, and if this valid_name fix is
>okayed by George then why bother?

It's overzealous and I knew that when I wrote it, but the alternative was
worse.  If you use:

        setsockopt(s, SOL_SOCKET, SO_KEEPALIVE, (char *) &opt, sizeof(opt))

        where 'opt' is 'int opt = 1' and 's' is their socket,

you'll limit your characters to 15 minutes of dead time if they lag out or
lose their connection but the MUD insists they're still there.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org