Re: Ports

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 09/08/00

On Fri, 8 Sep 2000, Zeavon wrote:

> Other people have covered the how, but there is one detail has been
> overlooked. If you have the mud answer to port 23, then your only
> other way to access the shell is via SSH. While this isn't a problem
> at all (my server only allows SSH access) it is something that you
> need to keep in mind.

That's not true.  telnetd, when started from inted, typically uses the
port number for the telnet service entry as set in /etc/services.  So you
can change it that way.  The -debug option also permits you to setup a
separate port, although that isn't really useful, here.

In /etc/services you'll find:

  telnet          23/tcp
  telnet          23/udp

change them to, say,

  telnet          24/tcp
  telnet          24/udp

and restart inetd (kill -HUP <pid of inetd>).  The telnet daemon should
now be accepting connections on port 24.  True, now it makes telneting to
the shell require a bit more typing, but if that's too much work, don't
bother running a Mud...

-dak