[QUESTION][NEWBIE?] Ascii vs. Binary player files?

From: Adam Scriven (scriven@lore.com)
Date: 10/01/00

Hey all.

I've been scouring the snippets and code contrib section, looking for
stuff that I want that's already been written.  A couple of things
(fancier prompts, for instance), reference ascii player files.

So, why would someone choose ascii player files?  Obviously someone who
has shell access and write access can easily hack the player files, which
could be a plus, but are there any other reasons?

Also, I can't find anything that allows me to migrate from binary to ascii
player files.  What am I missing?

Thanks!
Adam