Re: [QUESTION][NEWBIE?] Ascii vs. Binary player files?

From: Adam Scriven (scriven@lore.com)
Date: 10/01/00

On Sun, Oct 01, 2000 at 10:05:52PM -0500, Todd Laycock wrote:
> On Sun, 1 Oct 2000, Adam Scriven wrote:
> :So, why would someone choose ascii player files?  Obviously someone who
> :has shell access and write access can easily hack the player files, which
> :could be a plus, but are there any other reasons?
>
> Ascii pfiles make it easier to add new fields to be saved.  You don't have
> to convert your binary pfiles every time you add a new field, you just add
> a new line and default value to the ascii pfiles.  And if something gets
> screwed up in one player's file, you can open it in any text editor and
> fix it most likely.

Yup, that's what I like about them.
I can at least bring my PERL mastery (*cough*) to bear on some other hobbies.

> :Also, I can't find anything that allows me to migrate from binary to ascii
> :player files.  What am I missing?
>
> There's a converter included with the patch if I'm not mistaken...  it's
> been a while since I installed ascii pfiles, but I think it's
> included. :)

Now, I must be blind, because I can't find an ascii-pfile patch for Linux
anywhere.  I see the one for Windows, but since it specifies windows, I
assumed it was the wrong one for me.

Got any pointers? 8-)
Adam