Re: [SYSTEM-LINUX] Slackware socklen_t compiling issue

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@california.com)
Date: 10/05/00

On Thu, 5 Oct 2000, Melissa Jadwinski wrote:

> I am not an advanced C coder, and sockets and operating system-dependent
> things are way over my head.  Here's what I've tried so far:  I grepped
> through the code looking for socklen_t, and didn't find any occurance other
> than 1 line in comm.c: "  socklen_t i;".  I searched through the mailing
> list archives but found nothing specific to this problem, nor anything
> under 'Slackware' that seemed to fit.  I glanced through what configure
> came up with, though when I ran configure on the new host, it said
> 'src/conf.h is unchanged'.

socklen_t is a part of glibc2.  configure attempts to detect support for
socklen_t by compiling a little program that uses socklen_t and check for
an error status.  If there is an error (meaning that socklen_t does not
exist), it sets the typedef in conf.h to 'int'.

Now the question is why you're having this problem.  It would be worth it
to ensure beyond all doubt that you did take the correct 'configure'
steps:

  1. rm config.cache config.log config.status src/conf.h
  2. ./configure
  3. Recompile.

If problems persist, locate the line that reads, "checking for typedef
socklen_t," in the output from configure and send it this way.  If you
want to get your mud up and running fast, change socklen_t to int and
forget about it.

-dak