Re: World file security (offline editor issues)

From: Surgeon (webremedies@home.com)
Date: 12/29/00

>         Well.. here's where I need help.  There's going to have to be some
> way for the person to 'get' the files they're working on.  Tying their OLC
> permissions and userid:password combo together makes validation a
> non-isue.  But what about the rest?  What about other rooms, and other
> data?  What ever it is, even if it's not saved to the drive to save on
> download speed issue, we can assume they can reprogram their editor to
> write it out from there.
>
>         Perhaps these builders don't _need_ all the data.  I think in most
> cases, the name and vnum of rooms, mobs and objs is enough to make working
> with zedit/redit simple enough.  As for data for comparison, perhaps the
> ability to mark some zones on the server ..granting read access to all
> builders.
>
>         Maybe there's some other way I haven't thought of, like using some
> crytograpic system to store the data in an encrypted form, and then pass
> the information to the server in that manner to be decrypted internally...
>
>         Though, how would the editor read that info then, in the first
> place..works for new zones that you write in a single session, just use
> standard public/private key technology. ...of course, if it ever exists in
> clear text in the program itself (even if only in memory), it could be
> stolen...so no loading mechansim allowed would work...
>
>         Maybe i'm getting too excited by the idea of nasty crypto-work and
> overlooking a simple obvious (boring, but correct) solution?  Maybe it's
> just not possible, and you'll just have to get trustworthy individuals?
>
>                                                 PjD

Have you ever considered the possibility of GUI related CVS, for real
time merges of files, also to allow availability of other zones based on
demonstration to builders, why not set it up so the offline builder,
will display in "real time" <- if that's even the word, not allowing
(write) access, only (read).  I have not been able to take a look at
your offline editor, nor hold much experience in Windows API related
programming...  Just a thought

Truly bored,
Surgeon
webremedies@home.com