Re: [ADMIN] DikuMud licence

From: Patrick Dughi (dughi@imaxx.net)
Date: 01/09/01

> > > If you wish to setup a version of DikuMud on any computer system, you
> > > must send us a message , by snail-mail or e-mail, and inform us where
> > > and when you are running the game. (remember to include
> > > your address, name etc.)
> >
> > With that rule, we must 'shutdown die', send a s-mail/e-mail to those
> > people and wait for an answer. CircleMUD _is_ a version of DikuMud, isn't
> > it?
>
> no no no.  Just send them mail.  There doesn't seem to be ANY condition
> stating that they have to respond, just that you have to send.  If it
> bounces shrug and go on.
>

> > > You are allowed to alter DikuMud, source and documentation as long as
> > > you do not violate any of the above stated rules.
> >
> > Jeremy and his gang have probably the only real permission to alter
> > DikuMud/develop CircleMUD plus maybe some other peeps, who have sent an
> > e-mail/s-mail to DikuMud people.

        Actually, I believe there was a public statement which said
something along the lines of:

"We're not really worried if you email us about running the system or
not."
        - luv & kisses, DikuMUD dev team reps.

        But I could be wrong.

        In any case, I don't think it's morally reprehensible to 'forget'
the mail.  Even tracking down two of the 5 of the team to notify them was
rather difficult.  I can guarentee that no one is checking.

....off on a 90 degree tangent....

        It would be sort of neat to include a registration-type script
with circlemuds; perhaps something as simple as a correctly formatted
email to be submitted (via procmail or some automated agency) to the dns
registration database/other.

        Note; you wouldn't be required to run it, nor to have a
.circlemud.net addr, etc,etc,etc.  Just that it's possible and setup would
be nice.  It might be a way to play jr. traffic cop for all those zipmuds
out there; or perhaps a way to build up a circle only
help-wanted/ad/review site for circlemud admin.  That way we know who,
perhaps, is an alleged code thief, or who needs a head builder post, or
who claims 'extensive changes' which are summarized by adding color into
the auto-exits display.
                                        PjD