Re: [IDEA] Global on/off values

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/09/01

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, George Greer wrote:
>
>> >Absolutely none.  You might try repeating that in English.
>>
>> Que?
>
>I didn't phrase that quite how I wanted to, actually.  I didn't mean to
>be English-centric.  I wanted him to elaborate, not take a course in
>English. In short, it wasn't (just) the way he expressed the question, it
>was the overall lack of expression.

Yes, I know, just poking fun.  If I remembered more Spanish from 6 years
ago, I'd have written an actual sentence. :)  I was always better at
reading it than writing it (or especially speaking it) anyway.

He originally wrote:
"I'm wanting to write a piece of code that has a command to turn it on or
off, once turned on another command would let players use the code,
something like boosting dr/hr untill they level..."

The lack of periods usually causes the "Huh?" reaction.  Run-on sentences
slip around so much the point of each section loses its meaning and starts
to blend all together.

>> How about ACMD(do_gen_tog) at the bottom of act.other.c?
>>
>> It handles 'slowdns' and 'trackthru' which are global.
>
>I was avoiding external globals and this mechanism so I could present the
>code in one unified block and avoid two separate commands.  But, you're
>probably right, using what's there would probably be better.

It's namespace pollution on the command list but there aren't enough
non-globals to warrant a 'set' approach.

>BTW, anyone have any idea what "boosting dr/hr untill they level" is
>supposed to mean?  I think if we can crack that code, it'll become clear.

I'm guessing Hit-Rate and Damage-Rate.