Re: [OASIS] [BUG?]other immortals not visible

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 01/09/01

On Tue, 9 Jan 2001, Daniel A. Koepke wrote:

>> It's "(on|off)-line creation" with subdivision.  We figured they're similar
>> enough and could have overlap.
>
>In that case, consider moving offline area editors (and other utilities)
>to a utils/areas/ directory, or similar.  The snippets/olc/ directory will
>handle the online editors.  The idea being code/ will remain to be code
>snippets for use in the CircleMUD server, and utils/ will cover the area
>editors.

The argument given was the 'olc' (and 'scripting') stuff is generally large
enough of a package beyond the size of the other contributions.  Everything
is up for debate, of course.

>The idea was that those three directories would be rather sparse, so that
>people could separate between addons for Oasis/Obuild, the actual
>releases, and other material.

Having an 'old/' directory might be nice, especially when someone changes
the name of a package when they update it so you don't know which to use.

>You could go further with the organization and do:
>
>  contrib/code/olc/
>    GenOLC/
>      GenOLC-0.0.tar.gz

1.0 thank-you-very-much. :)

>      addons/
>      docs/
>      old/

Where do we draw the line at directory or subdirectory?

>But that might be taking it too far.  At the least, though, you might
>consider an OLD/ directory under olc/ to move antiquated versions of
>OasisOLC and obuild to, to reduce clutter and confusion.

Maybe, but I would like to clear out some of the stuff since it dates back
to bpl8.

On a side note, I've been arguing for a '/contrib/3.x'-like split and we
seem to agree that if a 4.x (or 3.5 or whatever) ever occurred, we'd go:

  /2.x/docs
  /3.x/contrib
  /3.x/docs
  /4.x/contrib
  /4.x/docs

with the 'Y.x' directory having the server itself.

The directory split (2.x/3.x) doesn't seem to allow a neat division of two
versions for contributions of say, 3.0 and 3.1, which we'll be doing.
(Betas get 3.0, the actual release getting 3.1.)

>> I find that to be a pain, because then you don't know quickly which
>> version you've downloaded without renaming the package or looking
>> inside.
>
>In which case, name the link exactly the same as the file.  :)

I meant when you download it, not poke at it on the server.

>> Online creation is also an area editor, why the preferential treatment?
>
>I was assuming olc/ could be moved under code/, then.

Let's not make 'code' too heavy.  A 'contrib' directory with only 'areas,
code, misc' isn't hyper-organized.