Re: NOWHERE, NOBODY, NOTHING tests...

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 03/05/01

On Mon, 5 Mar 2001, Peter Ajamian wrote:

> Most places where these values are tested do so to avoid crashing the
> MUD by indexing an array with a negative value.

The point is that someone might not be using arrays or might not be
indexing them with real numbers.  Thus, we should not assume that these
are going to be used for indexing arrays.  Or, really, how they're going
to be used.  The macros you suggested will just hide the faulty
assumption, rather than replacing it.  We don't honestly want '< 0'
anywhere.  The mud should use the appropriate NOWHERE/NOTHING/NOBODY
constant rather than any negative number.

Anyway, I think the technical arguments on this are sparse and won't hold
up to much scrutiny.  It's a judgement call.  But without any compelling
reason to change it from my perspective, I, at least, will uphold the
status quo and leave it be.

-dak