porting

From: Andyrt of DaneuranMUD (andyrt_daneuran@hotmail.com)
Date: 06/29/01

   I've been developing my mud on a win32 platform now for just under a year
and have recently received access to a host.  My host is running an unknown
version of Unix, and i'm not much of a hand at such OSes.  I got it to
configure correctly, however, when i pull a 'make circle' in the /src i get
weird warnings and errors that don't pop up when i'm using good ole' MSVC.

make ../bin/circle
make[1]: Entering directory '/home/design/public_html/lockbox/mud/src'
gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall  act.comm.c:15:
utils.h:484: parse error before '->'
act.comm.c: In function 'do_shout':
act.comm.c:212: warning: array subscript has type 'char'
make[1]: *** [act.comm.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory '/home/design/public_html/lockbox/mud/src'
make: *** [circle] Error 2

The referenced line in act.comm.c reads
sprintf(buf, "$n shouts< in %s>,\r\n     '%s'", language[(SPEAKING(ch)
-190)], obuf);

I assume its pointing to the language[(SPEAKING(ch) -190)] thing.. where
language is just a const char list of the names of all the existing language
and speaking is a macro pointing to the skill of the language that ch is
speaking.. 190 is the offset... Lang_common is 190, lang_elven is 191 and so
on...  The thing is... errors like this never came up in the windows
environment and- well... what did I do.. or what did i not do to make this
compatible.    Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.      Ralph Bean (Andyrt
of DaneuranMUD)