Re: buf, buf1, buf2, arg: J J & E

From: George Greer (greerga@circlemud.org)
Date: 07/23/01

On Sun, 22 Jul 2001, Cris Jacobin wrote:

>Performance wise, I'm curious as to see how efficient circle will be
>after global buffers are removed.  Before we'd build a global buffer and
>send it to n people.  Now it appears to me we're going to rebuild the
>buffer for each individual user.  I don't expect it to have that much of
>an impact, but I've always been quite proud of the fact that my game uses
>far less cpu than any other codebase running on the box.  Nice and tight.

We'll still generally sprintf() into a buffer if the string is identical
for a number of people.  The 'send_to_char(ch, "%s", buf);' will basically
boil down to an extra strn_cpy() per call as opposed to the old method.

>I'll probably wait until bpl20 is released to bring my game up from
>bpl17, as I have a suspicion that more is coming down the pipe.

Nothing drastic.  The gruesome death of 'show_obj_to_char()' is the only
other thing I'm currently looking forward to.  Daniel wrote up a nice
MailerCode(tm) implementation so it won't be hard to do.

--
George Greer
greerga@circlemud.org