Re: Least favorite quirk

From: Mike Breuer (mbreuer@new.rr.com)
Date: 07/27/01

----- Original Message -----
From: "George Greer" <greerga@CIRCLEMUD.ORG>

> I'd like to ask what other parts of the code people don't
> like, find confusing, or think is just plain silly?

The number one thing I found annoying when I first started working with the
code is the use of macros for function prototyping: SPECIAL, ACMD, ASPELL,
etc.  I had to dig all around the code to figure out whether the variables
being used were global or passed as parameters.  It made writing that first
spec proc a little more grueling than it needed to be.

Another (minor) thing I noticed recently, is just a silly thing in mag_affects
(magic.c).  The to_vict message and to_room message are sent to act like this:

act(to_vict, FALSE, victim, 0, ch, TO_CHAR);
act(to_room, TRUE, victim, 0, ch, TO_ROOM);

instead of:

act(to_vict, FALSE, ch, 0, victim, TO_VICT);
act(to_room, TRUE, ch, 0, victim, TO_NOTVICT);

That may just be a personal preference thing... I already changed it in my
copy.  Of course changing that means changing the case of all the $N's and
$n's in the messages used in that function.

Mike