Re: disallowing color in certain channels

From: Mike Breuer (mbreuer@new.rr.com)
Date: 08/19/01

----- Original Message -----
From: "NeoStar" <neostar@INORBIT.COM>

> I am using a color code system where you  type &number anywhere in the
code
> or in the MUD to allow for extensive customization both for the players
and
> myself. But I know how awful things can look when people decide to go
crazy
> with it. I want to make it so that certain channels ignore the &n and just
> print it out regularly. I am totally clueless about where to start!!

You didn't state which particular system you're using, and I'm not familiar
with it based on your description.  I assume that there is some sort of
function where all the text is filtered to replace the &n with the
appropriate color strings.  You should probably modify that function to take
a parameter indicating that colors should be ignored.  The problem with that
is that you'd have to modify all the functions calling that function,
probably including send_to_char, act, etc.

Another way to do it would be to add a flag to the player's descriptor that
you could toggle when you want to ignore color.  You'd have to have a
reasonably safe mechanism in place to make sure the toggle resets at the
appropriate time.  Of course, you would still need to modify the filter
function to check the toggle.

Mike