Re: Are there any free game mechanics engines other than D&D 2nd ed?

From: Daniel A. Koepke (dkoepke@circlemud.org)
Date: 10/23/01

On Mon, 22 Oct 2001, Emmett Plant wrote:

> Which was exactly my reaction when I read the details on the license.
> It's sick.

I'm not quite understanding the hullabaloo about the Open Games License.
In the regards that people seem upset over, it doesn't seem to bear any
technical difference from the GPL.  If you use Open Game content and
distribute your use of it, the result remains under the OGL.  You've taken
someone else's Open Game content and used it for yourself; why shouldn't
someone else be able to take your Open Game content and use it for
himself?  This includes, of course, Wizards of the Coast.

I don't see the problem and I don't see how this qualifies as, "sick."
The terms apply equally to everyone that uses Open Game content, WotC
included.  Which is why you have access to their content to begin with,
why they have access to your content after that, and why, you again, will
have access to their modified version of your content in the end.  Anyone
that regards equal sharing as "sick" has obviously twisted values.

-dak